Monday, May 14, 2012

The BEST thing a mother can give a child~ Celebrating Mother's Day!

The best thing a mother can give a child...
Is allow them to be who they were born to be. 
The best thing a mother can give a child...
Is allow them to have freedom
The best thing a mother can give a child...
is allow them to be independent
The best thing a mother can give a child...
is allow them to shine
The best thing a mother can give a child...
UNCONDITIONAL LOVE... even when when there are conditions
The best thing a mother can give a child...
space and time to grow
The best thing a mother can give a child...
acceptance
The best thing a mother can give a child...
to not get in the way of their BEING-ness
The best thing a mother can give a child...
to not get in the way of their BIGNESS
The best thing a mother can give a child...
to not be frightened of their greatness

I received an email on Mother's Day from a member of my spiritual family... and it has been on my mind ever since... it was an interview with (3) generations of women (Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow Smith and Adrienne Banfield Jones. Let's put aside that she is a celebrity... let's remove all judgement... let's allow ourselves to experience our own story through their eyes.

Thank you Jose for sending me this beautiful conversation it has marked my soul! 

I received a 2nd email today that devastated me... I will share that email at the end of this post...



Jada to her mother



You never got in the way of my BEINGness...  I LOVE THIS!!!


JPS: “How many moms would have chosen LA?”
Her mom ABJ: “That’s because I knew that’s what you were supposed to do.”
JPS: “We can’t be perfect on all levels but that you were intuitive enough to know who I was. Now that’s one of the best things that you can give a child… to not get in the way of the being of a person.”
JPS tells her mom so NO you might not have been that ideal definition of what a “good mother is” but you never got in the way of my beingness and her understanding of the importance in having that.
JPS: “You keep wanting to talk about the pain and resentment… all of that is a given…was their pain? Yeah of course! Was their disappointment? Of course! If you ask me whether I want to harbor on that or find the power in it. I choose power. What I look for is the power in all things. I look for the beauty in all things.”

LINK TO VIDEO: RED TABLE TALKS PART 1

Daughter on Empowerment...

LINK TO VIDEO: RED TABLE TALKS PART 2

Mother on balance... taking care of ourselves... and that following our dreams is somehow being a bad mother... taking care of others at the expense of ourselves...

LINK TO VIDEO: RED TABLE TALKS PART 3

Jada to Willow... if there was one thing you could change about your life?


WILLOW SPEAKS ~ The brilliance of an 11 year old girl~










I loved watching those videos. I enjoyed the interaction between… grandmother and granddaughter… mother and daughter… daughter and mother… each woman wanting to do IT a little different than the last generation… each woman wanting to be as great or better than the generations passed… each woman incredibly brilliant and beautiful… it was the perfect way for me to start my Mother’s Day as my daughter and I got ready for church. 





After being out of the country for the past few weeks spending time in the Dominican Republic and Cuba I returned home just in time to celebrate Mother’s Day with my beautiful daughter. The day was perfect. My daughter took me to church, then lunch, some shopping, she bought me the BEST present ever an IPAD 3rd generation (LOVE HER). We visited my Tia and then had dinner with my daughter’s boyfriend and his family. It was exactly what I wanted… tranquil… slow… I spent it doing exactly what my body called for. I rested… I walked slowly… I thought about nothing… but there was one person that I did think about my dear friend Patricia. I wondered how she was and I wanted to call her but I didn’t have a chance to. I got home early and went to bed around 10pm.
I woke up this morning and the first email I read was from my old boss at BusinessWeek that my dear friend Patricia lost her mother this past Sunday on “Mother’s Day.” I cried for a while but then I realized that there was something incredibly symbolic and beautiful about her leaving this place and returning home on that day… poetic…
The Lord decided it was time for his daughter to come home… and it was on a day that is meant to honor and celebrate all mothers. My dear friend Patricia loved her mother deeply. There was nothing she wouldn’t do for her. My beautiful friend is a wonderful example of what being a good daughter is.  She never left her side. It is with great sadness that I write today… but at the same time tremendous PEACE and JOY! Because I KNOW that Margaret is resting and that she is finally HOME!
Generations of women…
Mothers
Daughters
Sisters….
We have two choices: Carry all the guilt, shame and blame or release all of it and live the lives we are meant to. Tomorrow is never promised all we have is THIS MOMENT!

Find the POWER in all experiences!!! 
May she rest in peace! Happy Mother’s Day Margaret!

No comments: