Thursday, October 8, 2009

TAW: Week Two – Assignment 5

Completed: Thursday, September 3,2009

Five more imaginary lives...

1. Direct of the AFROLATINOS Foundation
2. Singer
3. Talk show host
4. Painter
5. Life as a man


As the director of the AFROLATINOS foundation... I imagine myself in charge of ensuring that monies and donations actually get to the hands of the people who TRULY need it. All aspects of the organization would be monitored by me... personally... NO more government official INVOLVEMENT… those who STEAL the aid that is being provided. It would be a private institution.

My life as a singer... not sure what that would look like... but it is something that I dreamt of as a child... imagining myself singing now... I would probably not be famous or well known... but would be one of those singers who perform with family members… in very small venues… private parties... local bars... like Tato Torres and Yerbabuena... singing for the love of it... singing because we must answer our call... singing because it’s the closest to GOD we get…

Talk show host... like Oprah... the Latin Oprah... I feel like people take on roles... start shows and then for ratings they end up selling out and talking about shit... some shows BECOME about nothing significant... all about gossip... I really dislike gossip... it doesn’t interest me... say what you want about Oprah... but for me... when I was coming up I saw her as a role model for women... helping women... and that’s what I would want in a show to speak on subjects that mean something to women... that serve women. I could care less about famous peoples private lives...

Painter... I would dedicate my life to painting women... all the aspects of a woman... there beauty... their strength... the darkness, the wounds, the pain, the joy… the ESSENCE of women…

If I were a MAN... I wonder what being a man must feel like... the ability to shake things off... the ability to not be AS emotional as a women... to let go of things quickly... the automatic respect that comes from people when it is a man they are dealing with... unless you are a black or a Latin man coming up in America in the 60s... then that experience might be somewhat different. What would it be like to be a man? I would be curious…

And so it is...

No comments: