Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Haiti a country of strength and struggle~





Hey everyone,

I just wanted to check in and say thank you to everyone who has donated on INDIEGOGO towards the completion of Afrolatinos: The Untaught Story. In this update I want to share why HAITI was the country that impacted me the most.

The first time I visited Haiti was summer 2008.

Renzo and I went to DaJabon, which is the border of the Dominican Republic and Haiti. One of the things that we have been blessed with is the opportunity to learn about cultures.

This project is important for many reasons to educate, to inform, to honor, to recognize and to share differences. The most important reason this project exists is to implement change. This project is about providing solutions. We are not sitting around in forums and at conferences simply talking about the issues that exist. We want to effect change. We want to help these communities that have been ignored for far too long.

The second time I visited Haiti we stayed in Carrefour, just outside of Port-au-Prince. We went a year before the earthquake in 2010. What I found in Haiti was a tremendous amount of struggle and strength. I don’t want to focus on poverty because we know it exists. Poverty exists throughout all of Latin America.

Haiti is the country that means the most to me aside from my motherland la Republica Dominicana, because I know that there is so much I can do to help women and children of that nation. Mostly, I want to work on Dominican/Haitian relations. With your help, we can help tell the story of the Afrolatinos who do not have a voice and are living in devastating conditions.

Please spread the word about this important project. Help us tell THEIR story. Support our INDIEGOGO campaign at: AFRICA Lives in Latin America~


To learn more about Haiti visit our website WWW.AFROLATINOS.TV

Thanks for your support!

Peace, light and LOVE~
Alicia

No comments: