Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Discussion with Special Guest: Alicia Anabel Santos


During the 6th Annual Dominican Conference a young woman approached me and asked if I would come by the table she was sitting at during the banquet. She mentioned that some of the students wanted to meet me. It was an impromptu convseration on identity, sexuality, voice and poetry... this group of AMAZING students from Wesleyan blew my mind. I could have chilled with them all night. And then Dorisol Inoa looked at me and said...

"OK so let's do this! Can you come next week... ? We need your voice at Wesleyan!"

I looked at her and said...

"YES!!!! Let's do this..."

I didn't know about her... but when I say YES... I meant it!

Well to my pleasant surprise a few days later Dorisol was not PLAYING around... she organized an amazing discussion for me to come spend some time with this incredible group of leaders up at Wesleyan University (I know they will be the home of the next Dominican Conference... you gotta want it bad enough and these folks do want it!) They ain't playin!

I am so honored... so thrilled... so excited to go and spend the evening tomorrow at Wesleyan... THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME! We are going to have a good time!

EVENT DETAILS:

Where: Wesleyan University
When: Wednesday, April 18th
Time: 4:30pm
until 6:00pm
    • 41 Wyllys Avenue Middletown, CT 06459



  • This is a MUST attend event if you are at all interested in the power of poetry and writing, women's rights, LGBT rights, equality for people of color and activism in general!

    Please join us in a conversation with Alicia Anabel Santos: A a proud New York-born Dominicana who is passionate about writing works that empower and inspire women to find their voices, speak up and demand that they be respected. A self-identified Latina Lesbian Writer, Performance Artist, Producer, Playwright, and Activist, who after reading one too many stories about women she could not wholly relate to, decided to write her own tales that would honor women throughout Latin America and at the same time be representative of the American-born Latina experience.

    Currently, she is completing a historical fiction novel titled The Daughters of the Revolution and is work-shopping a one-woman show titled I WAS BORN.

    Check out her amazing blog: http://findingyourforce.blogspot.com/

    The conversation will occur in Room 114 in the new Career Center building next to Usdan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great! Wesleyan needs Latin@ activist like you to talk about LGBTQ issues. As a Latina, I find it hard to talk about queer issues with families but events like this help make the process a little easier. Will be there in spirit!