Saturday, January 26, 2013

Writing prompt:your beliefs...

This can be any belief. ....

What I know to be true… What I know to be true What I know to be true What I know to be true everyday I am deciphering, sifting, throwing out, and cleaning house… purging all the bullshit you attempted to serve me Serve The truth is you brought us here to serve Owned us Possessions Yet we fought for our freedom Holding onto our religion Speaking dialects you dream of understanding Communing with piedras y cocos Our messages traveling through oceans and flames Secrets well kept We came from Nigeria Congo Angola Mali Senegal Guinea Togo And Ghana… Bringing with us The drum Un tambor………………………………. We played on barrels, encadenados speaking with our ancestors telling us to hold on we will hold on, we will hold on- we will hold on dying on ships sleeping in vomit and shit arrival to foreign lands stripped of our language our families our EVERYTHING but you didn't take everything we had you fooled Santa Barbara our Chango La Caridad nuestra Ochun Your lady of mercy our Obatala Saint Peter mi papa We held on We held on We held onto who we are Your failed attempts of removing remnants of our history Nunca seremos what you wanted us to be Our children remember They will never let you forget the smell of our bodies being burned and how it filled your streets At what cost At what cost At what cost This black holocaust Cruelty your game Yet our strength Our strength 100's and 100's and 100's and 100's and 100's and 100's of anos después… our strength intact what I know to be true what I know to be true what I know to be true we will never be YOU!!! and our story will never be erased! Aché End of freewrite

No comments: