Friday, June 24, 2011

Marriage~

“Very little is sacred anymore in this world, but one thing must be treated with reverence or else the moral fabric of the world disintegrates: an agreement between two people. An enlightened marriage is a commitment to participate in the process of mutual growth and forgiveness, sharing a common goal of service...”

The last to sections in the chapter on Relationships is: Marriage and Forgiveness (Forgiving our parents, our friends, ourselves).

The section on marriage I can admit made me a little sad. I want to be married. I want to share my life with someone. (I have been married before) but what I desire for my life today is something different. I want a marriage of service. I desire a marriage that fills me spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, sexually and economically.

Marianne talks about a union where both partners serve each other. It’s a beautiful concept. I have been in relationships where they have been self-serving. This doesn’t work. This isn’t growth. This isn’t forward movement together. This is one person doing the giving and the other person doing the taking.

“Why is a marriage a more profound commitment than other forms of relationship, such as a couple who are living together? Because it is an agreement that, while a whole lot of screaming might go on, no one’s going to leave the room.”

Staying… I believe in this. I believe in standing right there. Not leaving. Doing the work it takes to build - - doing what it takes to nurture that commitment so that it lasts. I want someone who is willing to do the work.

“A partner’s support and forgiveness enable us to stand forth more magnificently in the world. A Course in Miracles tells us that love is not meant to be exclusive but inclusive.”

The person for me… must understand this concept.

“Whether we’re forgiving our parents, someone else, or ourselves, the laws of mind remain the same: As we love, we shall be released from pain, and as we deny love, we shall remain in pain. Every moment, we’re either extending love or projecting fear.”

I affirm:
Today I call forth a loving partnership that is about service.
Today I forgive those who have caused me pain.
Today I forgive myself for having caused anyone pain.
Today I will love deeply and stay open to what’s coming.


Quotes are from: A Return to Love, Reflections on the Principles Of a Course in Miracles, by Marianne Williamson

Peace, light and LOVE~
Alicia

No comments: