Wednesday, October 3, 2012

De Donde Vengo YO! Where I AM from!


Six years ago a group of six writers (ALL LATINAS) met in my small NYC apartment in Harlem to begin a journey of creating and writing stories in a sacred gathering that we would later call the New York City Latina Writers Group (NYCLWG). Today we proudly have over 250 members, many of which have gone on to publish books, become actors, spoken word artists, poets, playwrights, teachers and tremendous women who are active in our community.

This group was formed out of my “soul” purpose of being a part of a supportive and sacred sisterhood, a community of womyn who
understood my story, womyn who "got" the Latina experience, this womyn of color experience and the experience we as womyn.. ALL WOMYN share and have in common.

In this group I would come to understand that MY story is OUR story.

In this group I was supported in not only writing and publishing my first book (Finding Your Force A Journey to Love), I am still giving birth to amazing new work and for that I am eternally grateful.

This group of womyn inspire me daily! They are the reason why I write! I carry you in my soul every time I hold a pen in my hands. I understand the great responsibility I have to write our stories! My stories are for them and for the men who honor us! Maferefun Yemaya!

Join us for an evening you will not forget:



This night is truly a celebration of our ancestors, our daughters and sons, our mothers and fathers, our abuelas and abuelos, our sisters and brothers, our tias and tios, our families, our history, our music, our religion, our BEAUTY and our BRILLIANCE!



Special performances by:

Pilar Olivo
J.F. Seary
Peggy Robles Alvarado
Nancy Arroyo-Ruffin
Maria Rodriguez
Yoseli Castillo

Photographer: Nivea Castro 


The inspiration for the event comes from the title of my dear friends... the Grammy Winning: CHOQUIBTOWN (CQT) - - who are up for (3) Latin Grammy's this year:

De Donde Vengo YO! Eso e lo q ay!








Peace, light and LOVE,
Alicia

#LHM #Latin@ #Latina #LatinoHeritage #Roots #RAICES #Culture #Cultura #NYCEVENTS @NYCLWG

No comments: