Friday, October 12, 2012

In Our Own Words--On Our Own Terms: Reflections of Latin@ LGBTQ Writers

We were in bed when I told you. We held each other. I looked over at you and said, “Baby, I need to tell you something.”

“What’s up mom?”

“I’m in love with a woman… I’m gay!”

You looked at me and said, “Are you sure momma?”

“Yes! I am sure.”

“Are you happy?”

“Yes… I’m very happy!”

“If you’re happy… then I’m happy for you. That’s cool!!! My momma’s gay.” You smiled and hugged me. Your opinion and approval was the only one that mattered to me. Once I came out to you I felt free. I was liberated. I was so excited about this new chapter of my life. It was like I was born again. Everything was new to me. It always felt like there was just one piece missing to my puzzle and now I finally figured it out.

The moment I came out to you was one of the most special days of my life. The moment that I accepted that I was a lesbian was a moment of COMPLETION. It felt like I was finally a complete being. I wanted to share it the world. I wanted to shout it from the highest building. Once I knew that I had your love and support, I figured everyone else would just follow. I believed that the entire family would love me anyway.

We were in Washington, DC for the weekend. I was on the phone with abuela and I just came right out with it, “Mami can I ask you a question? Que tu piensas de relaciones entre mujer y mujer? What do you think about women relationships?”

“Are you asking about lesbian relationships?” she responded in total shock.

“Yes mami. What do you think about gay relationships?”

“Bueno mi hija? I have nothing against gay people. You know that my hairdresser in NY was gay, but I could never accept someone gay in my family. It’s against the bible. Women are made for men.” Then she started quoting excerpts from the bible to me. As she spoke all I kept thinking was that for my entire life I’d never seen her open a bible once and now she was telling me exactly where it says in the bible that being gay is a sin. I decided that coming out to her during that conversation was a bad idea. I needed to wait for the right time. Excerpt from: ~Finding Your Force ~

I wrote in my journal today “My entire life feels like a COMING OUT story!” I feel like I am constantly coming out in some way or to someone. Join us for a wonderful conversation and workshop being offered at PACE University.


Where: PACE University, 
New York City Campus, 
One Pace Plaza, New York, NY 10038
When: Thursday, October 18th
 Time: 10:00am – 3:00pm



PLEASE JOIN ME FOR TWO AMAZING WRITING WORKSHOPS I WILL OFFERING:
Part 1: Women Writing the World ~ Writing Workshop – FREE WORKSHOP ~ 10/28/12 6pm-8pm
To register and for more information please email: findingyourforce@gmail.com

In your email please include the following:
Your name:
Email:
State/country:

Once you are registered you will receive more details.

Part 2: Writing with Intention ~ 6 classes on Nov. 11, 18, 25 and Dec. 2, 9, 16

FOR MORE DETAILS:

No comments: